Men's Basketball - In the Footsteps of St. Vincent
In August 2019, the men’s basketball team will make a life-changing study abroad trip to France & Italy in their effort to “Walk in the Footsteps of St. Vincent.” For many of these students, this will be the first time they have traveled outside of the United States. At DePaul University, we take pride in providing our student-athletes with an experience that helps them understand the mission of our patron, St. Vincent de Paul, and how we strive to put that mission into action today.
The students prepare for this trip by taking classes with our own Rev. Ed Udovic, a Vincentian priest who is an expert on the life and work of St. Vincent and the Congregation of the Mission. Fr. Ed provides them with background on the history of St. Vincent and the impact of his work in the 17th century. They then travel to see the actual sites where St. Vincent lived and worked.
We ask for your support in making this incredible experience possible for these deserving students. Here are some of the many benefits realized by this opportunity:
- It provides men’s basketball student-athletes with a once-in-a-lifetime experience to broaden their world view by traveling abroad and experiencing different cultures.
- It strengthens the student-athletes’ understanding of St. Vincent de Paul’s work and legacy through classroom work led by Vincentian educators and through experientially walking in St. Vincent’s footsteps.
- It equips each student-athlete with greater insights and, we hope, a greater urgency to share and enact the mission of St. Vincent de Paul and DePaul University.
- It creates an intense opportunity for team bonding on and off the court while traveling abroad.
- It adds to the overall student-athlete experience which is focused on creating world-ready, socially-aware graduates ready to make an impact in their community and beyond.
- It provides a significant recruiting advantage over other peer basketball programs.
Thank you for your support!
We will continue to raise funds throughout this year's trip. Gifts received during and after this trip will help fund the next group of students who embark on this incredible journey.